Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Godsend

Toast #2

Many of you have had the wonderful pleasure of being a passenger in my gem of a car whom I've recently renamed Stella. I have done so, because she tends to have issues a lot, and when she does, I've found it's a great opportunity for me to yell "Stella" in my best Marlon Brando voice. If you've got no clue as to what I am referring to, I am deeply ashamed of you and advise you to either read or watch (your choice) the American classic, "A Streetcar Named Desire."

Back on topic, I was out running errands last week and when I got to the sports academy, I realized I'd absentmindedly left my water bottle on my kitchen counter. I debated whether I could get through my workout without it and came to the conclusion I couldn't. Reluctantly I drove home to fetch it. When I got to that crazy awful four-way stop on 6th and 10th, I waited my turn and then began to move forward. Oddly, Stella died. I started her up again and moved through the intersection, but not 60 feet through, she died again and this time unable to be resuscitated. Diagnosis: out of gas, usually preventable unless your meter is broken like Stella's is.

Not only was my baby dead on the side of the road, she was parked right in front of a bus stop. In a panic I called my roommate which labored no avail. Luckily my soul sister Josie came to my rescue. Upon her arrival we pushed my car in front of the bus sign and ventured to the gas station.

As I walked in, I saw the man at the counter wasn't my usual gas related savior. When I got to the counter, I explained my predicament only to have the Chevron attendant tell me that they didn't have gas cans and he couldn't help me. I was internally irate. I knew his statement was false as I'd used such services not only a month ago. I stood there hopeless, confused, and distraught about what I would do. And then HE came...

He worked at the Ford dealership next door. He offered me a can they had just "kicking" around the shop. I couldn't believe his kindness. We walked over and retrieved it from the dealership, and to my surprise it was already full! He said to use what I needed to get to the gas station and return it after.

So here's to you, lovely man from the Ford dealership. I am forever grateful for the kindness you provided a stranger in need. The world could use more of you.

And of course, here's to you Josie Olsen, for being a constant rescue in my life. Whether it's Stella breaking down on the side of the road or I'm in need of emotional support, you're always there and I love you unconditionally for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment